Soft Tuna Bread 金枪鱼面包

Last week, a colleague followed my simple bread recipe and successfully made her first batch of bread. She told me with excitement that the bread is soft and fluffy, smells so nice that her whole family love it! The best part is that the recipe is fool-proof, which gives her a lot of confidence. She can't wait to explore other recipes from my blog.  I am really glad for her,  and hope she enjoys herself in the wonderful land of baking.

Prior to her baking, she asked me a few questions, which are common among all the beginners. One of the question is how to convert cup to grams. Though the information is readily available all over the web,  it's quite troublesome to check one by one for all the ingredients used in a recipe.  That reminds me of this long overdue task , which is to consolidate the measurement conversions for the most often used baking ingredients into my blog.So, I created a new page namely "Conversion of Measurement Units". Currently, the page covers volume and weight conversions for flour, butter, sugar, salt and yeast. Will gradually update the list for the convenience of my readers, especially those beginners.
 My colleague's enthusiasm for bread inspired me of making my own bread this week. Instead of repeating my own recipe, I decided to try a different method from Frozen Wings, the so-called gelatinized dough method.


The bread is soft, which is similar to the one made with tangzhong method. However, I perfer this method more as the "starter" is easy to make, while tangzhong method has strict requirement for the temperature (65C).
 
SOFT TUNA BUNS

Ingredients A

100gm bread flour
70gm boiling water

Ingredients B
- 300g bread flour
- 100g plain flour
- 80g sugar
- 6g salt
- 20g  milk powder
- 9g instant yeast (I used 11g active dry yeast )
- 175g cold water
- 60g cold eggs (I used 1 large egg)
- 60g butter

Egg Wash:

- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil



Fillings:
- 1 can of Tuna chunks in mineral water (185g)
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes


Directions
  1. Add the boiling water from A into flour, mix until well blended to form dough. Cover and set aside to cool and refrigerate it at least for 12 hours.
  2. Mix dry ingredients in B until well blended. Add in the cold water and eggs and knead to form rough dough. Add in A and knead until well blended
  3. Add in butter till form elastic dough.
  4. Let it proof for 40 mins -1 hour until double in size.
  5. Divide the dough into 60g each and mould it round. Let it rest for 10mins and flatten it. Place 2 tablespoons of tuna filling in the center and wrap it up. Shape it into a ball. I used a loaf tin, so, I shape the ball into an olive shape.
  6. Place onto a greased pan. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
  7. Proof for 30 minutes or until double in size. Brush with egg wash.
  8. Place some grated cheese, sesame and bake at 200C for 12-15mins.


Recipe adapted here.

Comments

  1. Quick question, how did you activate the instant yeast using the cold water and cold egg? Adding ingredient A into B, do i need to let the ingredient A cool down to room temperature or i can add it into B immediately from fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lu, I live in a tropical country. Daily temperature is about 26-30 degC. I usually just add yeast to flour, then add tap water and cold eggs . No problem for the dough to rise within 2 hours. Yes, you can wait till the ingredient A warm to room temp, then add it to B. For me, I just add A to B immediately from fridge.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken