Passionfruit Syrup Bundt Cake (IHCC)

The weekend is finally here,  and it looks like it will be a beautiful one as I am "going" to a potluck party at I Heart Cooking Clubs!  This passionfruit syrup Bundt cake is the one I will "bring" to the party.

 
I started to appreciate passionfruit recently after I learned how to select ripe passionfruit. A friend told me that ripe passionfruit is the one with wrinkled, dimpled and dented skin, not smooth skin. What?! This is the first time I heard people perfer wrinkles :). Seems passionfruit is an ugly duckling. It tastes intensely aromatic, richly fragrant. No wonder it has an alluring Chinese name “百香果”, which means "fruit with hundreds of fragrances". Furthermore, passionfruit is rich source of antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber. I eat it every other day now. Can't wait for them to ripen.

For those who still don't know how to appreciate passionfruit, here is the secret : Choose passionfruit that looks plump despite any wrinkles. If your passionfruit’s skin is still smooth, ripen it for a few days at room temperature until wrinkles appear.

In this cake, sour cream adds richess to the classic buttery cake, and passionfruit syrup dresses it up wonderfully. The cake is moist,  and tastes slightly acidic with hints of vanilla. Delicious with a cup of coffee!

 
I am linking this post to IHCC November Potluck. To see what others bring to the party, click the link here.

I am participating  I Like Big Bundts 2013,  hosted by The Food Librarian. Same as Mary, the Food Librarian, I like cake and dislike frosting. Partially because of the warm weather here, partially because I am sensitive to sweetness. Bundt cake is so beautiful that it stands out even without frosting.


PASSIONFRUIT SYRUP BUNDT CAKE
(Donna Hay's recipe. My changes are in blue)

Ingredients
  • 150g butter, softened
  • 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar (* I cut down the sugar to 150g)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup thick Greek-style natural yoghurt (* I replaced with sour cream)
  • 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour, sifted (* I substituted self raising flour with 2 cups plain flour + 2 teaspoons of baking powder)
          passionfruit syrup (* I cut down the ingredients by half)
  • 1 cup (250ml) passionfruit pulp
  • ½ cup (125ml) water
  • ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC (320ºF).
  2. To make the passionfruit syrup, place passionfruit pulp, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10–15 minutes or until syrupy. Set aside.
  3. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 10–15 minutes or until pale and creamy.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add yoghurt and beat until well combined.
  5. Fold through flour. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 24cm bundt tin and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
  6. Remove cake from the tin and place on a serving plate. Spike all over with a thin skewer, drizzle cake with syrup and serve while still warm.

Comments

  1. Love the look of your cake. We do not get passionfruit here otherwise would have bookmarked this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love passion fruit but fresh are exorbitantly priced here so I tend to use them strictly for garnish, using frozen puree where I can, but I've never really known how to choose the ripe ones, so thank you so much for that information. Your cake is gorgeous, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Bundt Cake would be so moist and delicious! Thanks so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and enjoy your Thanksgiving week!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joy,
    Your cake looks lovely. It looks really moist with soft tender crumbs, just as I like my cakes!
    I am just waiting very, very impatiently for my passionfruit plants to flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always say I'm going to participate in Mary's bundt cake challenge each year and I have yet to do it...but I really really like seeing all the different bundts that everyone posts and this one is really a stellar in looks, isn't it? The inside photo shot is beautiful as well. Nice choice. Someday, I will get it done...I just love making bundts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you always need to wait for the wrinkles. ;-) Your bundt cake looks amazing I think this just may be the next recipe for when I get more passionfruit. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always drawn to recipes with passionfruit because it is such a rare treat here in Kentucky. I think passionfruit are delicious and I bet this cake is nice and tender from the sour cream. A very pretty cake for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Passionfruit is one thing where wrinkles rock! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wrinkles are the key to passionfruit? I'm glad you shared that because if I ever came across fresh passionfruit, I'd want to choose the smoothest ones! What a moist cake. Looks like a treat.
    Thank you for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore passionfruit, but sadly when they are rarely available in my part of the world they are ridiculously expensive. I think I would happily fork out for them though to create such a beautiful cake.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken